A to Z Marketing Terms That You Need to Know
At theONEco, we understand that getting a good grip on common marketing words and phrases will allow you to speak with your clients and prospects with confidence. That’s why we scoured the internet’s leading authorities – places like HubSpot, FlightMedia and IntelliCraft – to find definitions for the most vital digital marketing, communications and advertising terms.
Want more from our blog? Read: 6 Ways You’ll Know It’s Time for a Brand Refresh
Without further ado, here is our compiled list of the most essential marketing terms, from A to Z.
- A/B Testing - Testing two versions of a webpage, email subject line, landing page, CTA, etc. to see which one performs better.
- Bounce Rate - The number of people who land on a page of your website and leave without clicking on anything before moving on to another page on your site.
- Click Through Rate (CTR) - This number shows the people that move through your website or marketing campaigns. It’s the “clicks” or actions prospects take, divided by the total number of actions people could take. Hence, the name “clickthrough rate.”
- Direct Mail - A means of advertising communication that reaches a consumer where they live or their place of business, through the mail, often based on demographics and/or geographical location.
- Ebook - Also referred to as a lead magnet, ebooks are generally a piece of longer content designed to generate leads.
- Geographic Segmentation - Segmenting a group of audiences based on where they live or where they are located.
- Hashtag - A keyword phrase, written without spaces, with a # in front of it. It allows you and your audience to interact and converse about specific topics on social media.
- Inbound Marketing - Advertising your company via content marketing, podcasts, video, eBooks, email broadcast, SEO, Social Marketing, etc., rather than paid advertising.
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI) - A type of performance measurement companies use to evaluate an employee's or an activity's success.
- Landing Page - A landing page is a website page containing a form that is used for lead generation.
- Marketing Automation - Think of marketing automation as the platform with associated tools and analytics to develop a lead nurturing strategy.
- Native Advertising - A type of online advertising that takes on the form and function of the platform it appears on.
- Offer - Offers are content assets that live behind a form on a landing page. Their primary purpose is to help marketers generate leads for your business.
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC) - The amount of money spent to get a digital advertisement clicked.
- Qualified Lead - A contact that opted in to receive communication from your company, became educated about your product or service, and is interested in learning more.
- Responsive Design - A website that changes based on the device the consumer uses.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - A method to increase a webpage’s performance in web search results.
- Target Marketing - A group of customers toward which a business has decided to aim its marketing efforts and merchandise.
- User Experience - The experience a user has with your brand/website, from the moment they discover you, through the purchase and beyond where customers become advocates.
- Viral Marketing - A method of product promotion that relies on getting customers to market an idea, product or service on their own.
- Workflow - A series of emails designed to nurture leads. A powerful marketing asset, you can use workflows to engage leads, learn more about prospects, segment lists, and much more.
- XML Sitemap - An XML sitemap is a file of code that lives on your web server and lists all the relevant URLs that are in the structure of your website.
- YouTube - YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
- Zero Cost Strategy – a decision or tactic that doesn’t have any costs or expenses when you execute it; many guerilla marketing tactics are zero cost.
Want more from our blog? Read: Is the Traditional Communications Agency Model Broken?
We hope that this list will help you better understand the lay of the land when it comes to your marketing endeavours. Many of the businesses we currently work with don't realize they need marketing assistance until they've spoken to us in person. To connect with a representative at theONEco, please contact us today. Whether you prefer phone, in-person or online assistance, we’re always here to help.